Monday, May 01, 2006

Going Home

by Mahealani Perez-Wendt

I. Stable

Dark horses
Black saddles
Cattle crying
Fire and iron
Slaughter and slice
the smokehouse waiting.

II. Prayer

Bless me Father
Holy Mary
Baby Jesus
Rose from ashes.

III. Valley

Too long not knowing the horses and
mountain paths of our valley
I rode with friends meandering the
ginger streams.
Now I remember the tangled hau, the old cabin,
the hunter’s waystation quite abandoned;
Again the thorn and scratch of lantana,
Up there oregano leaves mother told us long
ago;
Miles of guava, the gamboling cows
scatter tall grasses at our approach.
I remember that house, the garden still intact.
I remember horses, stables, and bridle days.
Skinny kids sun on rocks at the waterfall –
Who can forget racing through pasture to
be first at the swimming?

IV. Rain

Now the rains sweep through this valley
We find sheltering under trees
We crouch whispering ghost stories,
Sinking toes in sodden leaves.
When the rainbow arcs its blessing
We give thanks and ask for these:
Ever shall we swim stream waters
Watch the sunset hills ablaze
Ever savor sweet roseapple
Ever dream on valley days.

No comments: