Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Coconut Wireless

[Congratulations to Lea Kala for her runner-up written entry in our 2011 Creative Competition. Check back daily for the next several days as we post other recognized entries.]

You left me-

Now you ask
Who I tell

People talking

You mo’ kea
How you look-
How she do-

No kea bout me

You no want
This wahine
I know

I no tell her name
I say nada

People get eyes

Her friends make
Buzz buzz buzz
Busy bullshit bees
Pointing fingers
Lak I make
Big stink over nuting

It not nuting
It something-

I feel it-
Hard-

Like befo’

I no talk
I no kea bout her-

Its you

I know
If I talk
You punipuni - lie
Say I ʻō.pule.pule - crazy

Her friends
When they buzz like that
They point fingers-
At you-
And her-

I no need.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. Thanks for sharing it!

Charles Looney said...

A fine poem.A very fine poem, indeed. Since it is a poem it makes no sense to weigh its value against a short story's value to determine which is the better piece of writing. Please consider separating prose and poetry for future competitions. Mahalo.

Anonymous said...

I like Charles' idea of separating prose and poetry for future competitions.