Monday, January 15, 2007

Love Poems from a Tall Island

by Gae Rusk


II. Cartography

Are you learning to read maps?
I’m depending on you now
I’m needing you now
for it’s a navigator I have lacked

Think of where we could go
we could earhart the sky
we could collect continents
then fly off quick
when they shift
below our feet
we could avoid night blindness
going on autopilot
letting the map read itself
routing us
at last
to consummation

You need to stay still now
so I can find you
I know echo location will work
I know all the legends on all the maps
of this entire earth
will lead me to
you
I know kilometers and miles have conjoined
marking the spot where
we
will finally
meet



copyright 2007

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This has such a beautiful rhythm to it. I almost feel as if the narrator is whispering this is my ear. It's like a conversation is happening on another level, beyond the physical, five senses.